Samsung T809 Power User

Quick Links       Dada's Samsung t809 FAQ       Howard Forums Samsung Forum       Phone Scoop t809 Forum

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Samsung t809 cell phone tips

THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN MOVED TO A NEW SERVER. ALL UPDATES WILL BE POSTED THERE!

Please visit our new website at Samsung t809 FAQ

I was afraid I scratched my t809 display today, but a little wiping with a soft lens cloth and it looks fine. The phone is so tiny and light I'd hate to much that up with a leather case, but I may have to (if they ever release a quality one). Had another 3 or 4 people stop me today in the airport and ask me what phone it was. I realized what makes it stand out -- the color. The thing is just gorgeous from a few feet away.

I banged out almost 4 hours of continues EDGE/GPRS via bluetooth to my PDA today, and the battery hit about 50% or so, I assume. So far I can't find a decent place to track down the exact battery status -- it only shows 3 bars of battery. At one point I hit 1 bar but opening and closing the slide brought it back to 2.

I did do a fairly large download -- about 6 MB, and the phone got pretty warm on the bottom. The first purchase I'm making is a decent car charger and a second battery, for sure. The battery life is awesome, considering I knocked out almost 200 minutes of phone time and the 4 hours of EDGE browsing (at 150kbps!).

The speaker phone is amazing, people have told me I sound better on speaker that off. Everyone comes through really clear even in the wind of Chicago in mid winter. I'm waiting on Samsung to give me some info on their proprietary charging jack so I can purchase some raw connectors and make some adapters of my own. Hopefully I'll hear something from someone.

A few tidbits of information:

*Google's gmail works great from the WAP browser -- as does google.com's search.

*T-Mobile lists the RAZR carrying pouch as a t809 accessory, but it does NOT work well.

*Browsing the web via the WAP browser is a high power consumption process.

*There is no good POP3/IMAP e-mail client because of the Java security issue. If you have this phone, call T-Mobile and let them know you need a fix for this problem, it's a big one!

Does anyone have any idea why the camera flips upside down towards you? When I flip it, the display becomes flipped so everything is upside down. Annoying, and sort of senseless. It could be good for videoteleconferencing, if the image wasn't inverted.

9 Comments:

  • I am interested in this phone, but low on cash. Since I have time but not money, I did some research at Howard Forums. I'm pretty sure the issue with the camera is a result of not including software or a hardware switch to tell the phone that the camera was rotated. The reason it's upside down is that it never corrects for going from pointing away from you to pointing towards you. This is hard to explain, but basically, it needs something to tell the phone that since the camera was rotated 180 degrees virtually, tell the screen to invert me the necessary 180 degrees.

    Hope that helps.

    Raul

    By Blogger Raul the Poolboy, at 3:29 PM  

  • Right, it is extremely frustrating. I've already found some directions in finding a solution -- as soon as Samsung releases a fix for the Java Security Networking error, we'll see some video conferencing software. The software can easily flip the image before compressing and sending it out.

    It isn't a huge deal -- I can flip the image myself as well, and don't (often) have any reason to take a picture of myself!

    Save up for the phone, it is the best thing I've used yet. My lady uses the v360 and she loves hers, but she's not a power user (or a geek) like I am.

    By Blogger A. B. Dada, at 5:04 PM  

  • Thanks for the advice, I'm subscribed to your feed, so I'll be following your adventures. The other phones that have my eye are the semi-venerable Sony-Ericsson K750i, with a nice 2MP camera as similar media playback, as well as the upcoming Nokia N80, which truly sounds like it will be the end-all-be-all of portable devices.

    Anyway, please continue to post, I'll be sure to continue to read. If I manage to score one in the near future, perhaps I can be a guest columnist or something :-).

    Raul

    By Blogger Raul the Poolboy, at 5:25 AM  

  • Anyway, please continue to post, I'll be sure to continue to read. If I manage to score one in the near future, perhaps I can be a guest columnist or something :-).

    Thanks, I appreciate it! In 2006 I'll be giving away prizes and gifts to my regular readers, so definitely keep up.

    I'll be picking up the new Nokia as well (I am a phone GEEK) and will likely have another blog detailing it. So far, my t809 seems superior to any other phone out there, but 2006 will be a knock out here.

    The great thing I see ahead is as one company breaks up a proprietary standard, every other company will jump on the bandwagon. Every single proprietary issue that we've hated for the last 10 years will likely be gone -- thanks to competition!

    By Blogger A. B. Dada, at 9:53 AM  

  • Just hit the volume buttons on the side it will flip the picture.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 PM  

  • If you flip the camera towards you and the image is upside down, just use the volumn button to flip the image vertically.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

  • Wow, thanks for the info! For some reason I don't see that in the manual :)

    Added it to the FAQ.

    By Blogger A. B. Dada, at 8:56 PM  

  • when you first enter camera mode, icons appear on the screen. each one corresponds to a certain button on the phone-including the buttons on the side of the top portion. if you press the buttons on the left a couple of times, your image will rotate/flip/etc. eventually your image will be right side up. you will of course have to repeat this process when you return the camera to its normal position.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 AM  

  • I'm not sure if you know this but, if you hook up your phone to your laptop or computer through the USB it charges the phone. I got a question for you though, I am not sure if I have the full internet package, but I did notice that my t-zones do go a lot faster since I got the phone. Is this a hint I got it? if you can Instant Message me on AIM at ielmii

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
t809 Power User counter

Global Unanimocracy Network Counter
Technology Blog Top Sites