Samsung T809 Power User

Quick Links       Dada's Samsung t809 FAQ       Howard Forums Samsung Forum       Phone Scoop t809 Forum

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Night 1: EDGE networking via laptop

THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN MOVED TO A NEW SERVER. ALL UPDATES WILL BE POSTED THERE!

Please visit our new website at Samsung t809 FAQ

I charged my t809 for the first time -- the charging plug is tinier than my old HP iPAQ connector, which (for me) is bad. I break everything. Why can't these people get mini-USB ports like Motorola and Blackberry have? Proprietary connectors offer higher margins for sales people in selling accessories, but it still makes life hard.

I turned on Bluetooth, powered up my laptop (using a D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth dongle) and paired the devices. 10 seconds later, I ran through a quick Dial Up Networking connection, clicked Dial and *BOOM* Error message.

Rebooted. Clicked Dial. Error message.

The error message was a new one to me:

Error Code 734: The PPP link control was terminated.

Now, I have no Internet, and I have no phone to dial out on. Lovely. I went through my notes I wrote down while talking to the T-Mobile guys during the v360 issues, and I came up with the following they recommended adding to the Dial Up Networking "Extra Initialization String":

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"

Also, they recommended turning off "Use IP header compression" in the TCP/IP networking options. I will explain both of these changes in a day or two.

I didn't reboot, just clicked Dial, and success! Connection made.

The first thing I did was e-mail off a thank you to T-Mobile. They've had me since the Voicestream days and I'll never go to another company.

I went to DSLReports to do a speed test. It isn't the most accurate but it is a good reference. The Samsung t809 didn't inform me on the display if I have a good GPRS connection. With my old h6315 PDA phone, I'd get around 3K per second downloads and usually 1K per second uploads. Not very good.

I ran DSLReports' speed test with the t809 tethered to the laptop via bluetooth. This is on a Sunday night, but I got the following speeds:

2005-12-18 22:24:38 EST: 112 / 44
Your download speed : 112 kbps or 14 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 44 kbps or 5.5 KB/sec.

Wow! That is significantly faster. EDGE definitely is working, even if I can't see it on the phone. I used to pay $150 per month for IDSL to get worse speeds down, but these speeds are perfect. I'm posting from it now and I'm very happy with the results. Multiple windows in IE run perfect.

More on EDGE to come.

UPDATE: I made some slight changes to my dial up networking profile and received 152 down / 44 up. I've heard some users pushing even faster speeds via EDGE, so I'll keep tinkering. After the minor changes the latency is even lower so it feels much faster.

1 Comments:

  • hey... is there a way to connect the phone to a laptop and have it recognize it as a wireless connection??

    By Anonymous venomshot629, at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
t809 Power User counter

Global Unanimocracy Network Counter
Technology Blog Top Sites